perplebanana
Thanked 0 time

I'm getting a puppy!

That puppy is simply adorable!!!   big_smile  I'm sure you'll love him and he will love you!!  As far as supplies go, I don't have much that could help you because I have a german shepard and black lab. Names I can help more with though.  I think Sarge is cute, or Cooper, Ollie, Pepper, Prancer (or any reindeer name for the holidays)   But those are just a few ideas!! I hope you have a great time with your new puppy!  Let me know what you end up calling him.

Posted 8 years ago
LiLiGirl
Thanked 0 time

Re: I'm getting a puppy!

Hey I just got a puppy a few months ago (she's five months now too), but she's a slightly bigger breed than yours, so she's already out grown a lot of stuff from when she was a tiny baby, so if there is anything you need, let me know  and I'll see if I have it (I have to warn you though most of her stuff are pink and girly, since she's a baby girl lol) and if not, I could suggest some really good places online where you can get them at a low price.
Also, if you need some tips/advice on raising a puppy, let me know!
Congrats! and I wish you best of luck with her!

Posted 8 years ago
shhmandy
Thanked 0 time

I just picked him up today, and so far he's the best!
It's so sad seeing him only run around on three legs, but I love him so much (:
And I didn't know this, but the person who I'm taking him from got him because the person wasn't taking care of him properly ):
His hair is all matted, and he's skinny, but the vet said he's healthy and he'll be just fine after he eats some more (:
Thank God!
And I was curious, is there anything that you found really helpful to raise her that someone wouldn't think of initially?

Posted 8 years ago
Nona
Thanked 0 time

I highly recommend crate-training the puppy.

Posted 8 years ago
LiLiGirl
Thanked 0 time

Hey Shhmandy,

I definitely, think that crate training is a very good idea, especially since he is in a new environment it’s nice for him to have a place where he can feel comfortable in and call his own.  Because you (it sounds like) the third person that has cared for him in his life, it might take a while for him to feel secure with you, so in the next couple days spend a lot of time with him, play with him etc. I would suggest, if he has trust issues, to begin with hand feeding him, because food means a lot to dogs, if you are the person that he associates food with he’ll eventually  start to see you as the source of all good things. However, the hand feeding should only be for the first few weeks at most, and phase that out after a while (so that you won’t establish dominance aggression—also, remember, you are the alpha dog, so always eat first before you feed your dog!).

Dogs that have come from abused pasts might be timid (I don’t know if he is or not) around people and even other dogs. In order to make him more confident, I would suggest that, after he has gotten comfortable in your home, to start introducing him to new people, socialize him by introducing him to different people, different situations and different dogs so that he will start to learn that people, dogs, etc. are not going to hurt him.
If he has trouble with meeting people at first, always have the people handling him start slowly and calmly, and give him a lot of praise and treats. If you use praise and treats at the right time, it could really help in training your dog and also help build up your dogs confidence (this is important especially since he is a young dog, and puppies, like young people, do go through a period where they are trying figure themselves out, their environment out and where their place is in the “pack” aka your family).

As far as meeting other dogs go, I think that is definitely important, but because of his situation with his leg, I don’t recommend taking him to a dog park, I would only bring him around calmer dogs (and also smaller ones too, because of his size), who won’t jump on him or tackle him. When you introduce two dogs, always introduce them on mutual territory (so not at his house or the other dogs house) and then if they get along fine, then you can take them to a secure, fenced in area for play (always make sure you supervise, especially like I said before, because of his leg). Many shelters have puppy playtimes and other social events for dogs that you can look into.
Well, I hope you find some of this information helpful and if you need anything else, feel free to let me know! Good luck and enjoy your puppy!

-Li

P.S. Did you find a name for him yet?

Posted 8 years ago
love2beach
Thanked 1 time

Yay!  He's adorable. smile  My Chi grew out of some of his stuff, I'll see what I have & get back to ya.  What do u need?

Liligirl posted some really great info. smile  Are you planning on having Gage neutered?  If so, please do so before he starts lifting his leg.  It's too late for my Otis & he has to wear a belly band sometimes.  Thank god he's tiny! 

I socialized Otis early & he is a true joy to everyone.  I take him practically everywhere & he & the 120 lb German Shepard are best of friends. smile

Dogs rule.  :banana:

Posted 8 years ago

Board footer

Join in!

open your world wide wardrobe

don't use facebook ?