Nona
Thanked 0 time

POLL: Feedback from other websites???

Do you think feedback from ANOTHER website is a valid reason for a swapper to not send first on Swapstyle? DISCUSS why!

Posted 8 years ago
lililongpre
Thanked 0 time

Re: POLL: Feedback from other websites???

I dont think so. Cause maybe you dont have a problem to ruin your reputation here and have a good name on another site. Maybe you are not the real person in another site and you take his name for proove that you have a good feedback but youre not the person you pretend to be. I guess  you have to built your name here, on swapstyle  with tokens. But im an anxious person.

Posted 8 years ago
lililongpre
Thanked 0 time

I agree with you and you talk much better than me.  You said exactly what i was thinking i just dont have the right word to explain my point as much as in french. BUt the thing you said about pictures and description is very true. When you describe with one word or just doesnt talk about the condition for sure you will have some problem after if its not like anew. Cause we want to have a fair swap and its impossible if we dont know what we get.

Posted 8 years ago
love2beach
Thanked 1 time

I think it depends on the situation. Ultimately it is your decision to swap or not to swap & to apply your own swap rules/guidelines.  Here are some reasons to take into consideration if a swapper has less tokens then you:

1)  Can this swapper prove their feedback/tokens from other site(s)?  Have you checked out their profiles/fb from other sites?
2)  Are you familiar with the other site(s) the person has fb/tokens from?/Are you a member of other sites this swapper is a member of? 
3)  Do you feel as you can trust this person?  (Usually I get a "gut feeling" from a swaplifter or if something is not right, but not always.)
4)  Does the person has all positive tokens here?  How many tokens are from "veteran" swapstyle swappers?
5)  Has this person swapped with swappers you know/swappers you have swapped with & trust?  Do you trust these the tokens/fb left from these swappers?  Have you asked around about this swapper?
6)  How long has this swapper been swapping online (not just on swapstyle)?
7)  Is this swapper open about their activity on other swap/sell sites?  Are they willing to answer questions?
8)  Does this swapper seem like a newbie or do they seem as thou they have been around the swapping block?
9)  Could you be missing out on some possible great swaps by sticking to your swap rules to a "T"? 
10)  Is this person active on the forums?  Do they share information/advice/experiences?
11)  Does this person have enough positive tokens here on swapstyle to make you feel comfortable?  The amount of positive tokens required to make you feel comfortable in a swap can differ from person to person.

In life not much is black & white & I feel there are many variants to consider vs simply the yes or no poll question asked.  We all have our guidelines when it comes to swapping, I know I have mine.  A person may not have more tokens then you here but may have tokens on other swap sites such as makeupalley.com (I know I do & I have been a member of MUA since 2001).  I would most likely swap at the same time with a person who has good fb/tokens on makeupalley.com.  I say this because MUA is a swap site & not a big auction site like eBay.  Many swapstyle members have been MUA members for years. I personally feel more comfortable if a swapper has good fb/tokens on MUA.   

I am a veteran swapper & have had my share of bad experiences & swaplifters.  I certainly understand the need for as many positive tokens I can get here but at the same time my health keeps me from swapping as quickly as others.  I will not be able to acquire the same amount of tokens in the same time frame as a healthy person who swaps regularly.

If the person seems unwilling to answer questions/share information that would make you feel at ease ~ obviously do what you have to as in asking them to ship first.  I know MANY people who's names ended up on the swaplifter list sent me swap offers when I was a brand new member here.  If I had agreed to ship at the same time I would have gotten swaplifted MANY times. 

As I have said, all in all it is your decision to make.  Do what makes you feel comfortable. smile

Posted 8 years ago
Nona
Thanked 0 time

I think a person has every right to refuse a swap bc a person with less tokens won't send first. We ALL had to prove ourselves here in the beginning. I think asking someone else to send first when you have more tokens than them on Swapstyle just bc you belong you another site will make people VERY leery of swapping with you. Tokens / feedback from elsewhere is irrelevant.

Posted 8 years ago
love2beach
Thanked 1 time

Using delivery confirmation is actually a "swapping requirement" of mine, bethy.  I don't swap without it.  It protects both swappers.  I required it when selling on eBay also.  Delivery confirmation is pretty much a no brainer BUT you can still be swaplifted if using it.  Swaplifters have given fake DC #'s & if they are going to steal from you they are going to steal if you used DC or not.  These are certainly not reasons to not ship with DC, of course. 

All newbies have been in your shoes & feel the same way you do.  I have mentioned before in the forums that perhaps a standard amount of positive tokens should be set;  an example being a new swapper ships first until they acquire 20 positive tokens.  This is the standard on makeupalley.com (as an example) although swappers there do have their own individual swap rules.  Some require 25 tokens or more while some will ask that a swapper with any negative &/or neutral tokens to ship first.  I'm sure different swap sites have their own standards as well.  I don't think specific reasons for leaving negative tokens has been established here on swapstyle either but the site is still relatively new & they are making changes all the time.  Some people will leave a negative token for a reason(s) others don't feel a neg is deserved. That is another issue though. smile

The best thing a newbie can do is swap with established swappers.  Always check a person's feedback/tokens & if you get that "gut feeling" don't swap.  Read people's profiles, read the forums, check the swaplifter list & don't be afraid to inquire about someone in the forums (or PM someone to ask about their experience with a swapper). 

This is a perfect example of how taking someone's fb from other sites may be beneficial.  As a new member you don't know if you will get swaplifted or not & swaplifters will sometimes build up a certain amount of positive tokens/FB to make people trust them.  Once they have acquired positive tokens & people are trusting them they rip you off blind!  If you can check a person's tokens/fb from other sites & yes, it is in fact the same person, you can probably trust them a lot more then a swapper who only has tokens on one site. 

Like I said, not many things in life are black & white.  There are gray areas in all aspects of life.  The poll question states:  "Do you think feedback from ANOTHER website is a valid reason for a swapper to not send first on Swapstyle? DISCUSS why!".

I feel this question in itself is too black & white. It suggests taking feedback/tokens from just one other site into consideration & also suggests this is the one & only reason a swapper has given to not send first.  I have read profiles that say something to the fact of "I have 3698394404 positive feedback on eBay. I am a trustworthy person.", "I would never swaplift." etc, etc, etc.  Now, do I trust this person based on this information alone?  Of course not.  This isn't eBay & I probably have not purchased from this person on eBay.  If a person has fb/tokens on more then one swap/sell site there is a good chance I am a member of one of these sites.  I can check this person's profile(s) & tokens on these sites & I can ask other members about their experiences with this person.  There's a good chance someone I have swapped with has also swapped with this person. 

Swapstyle is a relatively new site whereas other swap sites have been around for many years. I have made friends with people on other swap sites & I may have known these people for many years now (as well as having friends who joined these sites). I can ask them about a swapper & trust what they have to say.  On eBay you cannot contact members as easily as on other sites.  Feedback left on swap sites also tends to be more honest & detailed compared to eBay feedback.  These swap sites have many less members & there is much more of a community/friendly feel.  People can explain an undeserved/retaliatory token in detail on these websites whereas on eBay there is a limited amount of space to respond to fb.  We also can read someone's fb pretty quickly compared to sifting through hundreds or thousands of fb left on eBay. 

The poll question excludes too many variables to be answered properly in a simple yes or no question (as you can see by my response). smile 

Taking ALL of this information into consideration I give you a perfect example:  I am a member here & also a member on makeupalley.com.  Nona is also a member of both sites.  Nona has been a member of swapstyle longer than me & she has more tokens.  I have been a member of makeupalley for longer then Nona & I have more tokens than she.  If I requested a swap with Nona on makeupalley I would take the tokens she has acquired here into consideration (amount of tokens & what the comments say).  Based on her tokens here I would agree to ship at the same time as she & not ask her to ship first as I feel I could trust her. The same would apply if Nona had requested a swap with me on makeupalley ~ I would not ask her to ship first based on the tokens she has here on swapstyle.

Please forgive any spelling/grammar mistakes (it's very late)!  Thanks for reading, I know it's long. smile

~Tracii~

Posted 8 years ago

Board footer

Join in!

open your world wide wardrobe

don't use facebook ?